Art World Thoughts - Jerry Saltz

During the summer I remember feeling hopeless about my future. I remember applying to a tech school as a backup plan should my art degree fail. I began to believe that what I was studying was not worth investing my money or time in. I convinced myself that I should study something else and I began the process of enrolling in classes at the tech school I was admitted to. Thinking back on this I begin to realize how wrong I was to desire to pursue something that didn't spark passion in me. I was so wrong to think that artists were nobodies and that creating art was a waste of time. That all those times I had gone out and photographed my surroundings was a complete waste of time. How wrong was I to think like this... I was so wrong to this that way.

The first section of this essay just really reminded me of my way of thinking during last year in the summer. I can't blame everything on covid but I will admit that with covid happening, my sense of direction was lost and I felt hopeless as an artist. I had a wake-up call when I talked to one of my professors about how I was feeling. Their unwavering support truly motivated me to keep pushing forward even if I didn't see any result in my efforts.

In the first section of the essay, Jerry mentions that passion, obsession, and desire are how art will survive. I agree with this because artists are inspired by experiences, emotions, nature, etc.

After reading this essay, a wave of emotions came over me. I felt guilt and regret... 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goals & Plans Update

Cool News!